Hi folks, quick updates on the status of games.
Sunday, May 21, 2023
2023 Summer Games Update
Sunday, February 19, 2023
I had a great set of demos at KatsuCon this past weekend with some awesome players! Highlights include the Alter Arms player who played a hero with a Stage Magician gimmick, allowing them to tie up opponents with escapology chains and use balloons to gather intel. There was also the Skrap Packs player who combined their metal gauntlet with a potato peeler to make a clawed glove they named “Can I Borrow a Peeling.”
Regarding testing feedback, notable findings include:
The major takeaway from this session was codifying consequences for losing health.
The game has PCs hold three items as on-hand (face up, ready for use) at a time. When they lose health from enemy attacks or traps, I want a consequence to be focused on the status of their items. I’ve decided on the following.
PCs have 20 total health.
If they lose 5 health in a single round of combat, they drop one of their items on-hand at random. It falls to the field of combat but can still be recovered on their turn for a penalty.
If they lose 10 health in a single round of combat, one of their items on-hand is destroyed at random. They lose it and it is given to the GM to put back into the deck of items that can be found in the game world.
If they lose all of their health, all of the items they have on-hand are destroyed. The character then returns to 10 health, but must now scrounge for new tools.
Sentimental items (which have personal value to the PC and special mechanics in different circumstances) can be destroyed in the previously mentioned methods. If at any time a personal item is destroyed in the above situations, then the character returns to full health and the opponent who caused the item to be destroyed falls to half of their current health.
Be sure to check back for updates on upcoming events and release info!
Monday, January 16, 2023
2023 Games Updates and Next Live Demos
The current plan is to demo both games during KatsuCon 2023 on both Friday and Saturday.
Monday, November 28, 2022
2022 Fall Update (PAX Unplugged, MAGFest)
- Introduced the concept of back size limits. Can upgrade packs to hold additional cards by finding cards with the Material suite. These items can be discarded in order to expand pack size.
- Introduced the concept of Advantage (ADV) where a character’s proficiency in using the items for the task will allow them to reroll any number of the 4 dice once per move.
- More special items have been given unique effects, such as providing ADV once per encounter, or allowing you to gain double your normal bonus.
Sunday, June 26, 2022
Coming Up: BlerdCon 2022
I'll be in the tabletop room at BlerdCon 2022 on Saturday, July 9 from 2PM - 8PM Eastern time. Be sure to stop by for a demo at one of my favorite conventions!
Wednesday, June 1, 2022
Coming Up: AwesomeCon 2022
I'll be running Skrap Packs at AwesomeCon 2022 in the tabletop gaming room on Saturday, June 4 during two, 2-hour sessions.
Tuesday, May 31, 2022
Welcome to the Skrap Packs Production Blog!
How Do You Play Skrap Packs?
- Mundane Items: Cards representing normal, everyday things that the player characters can find in the world. These are drawn to give player characters a reward for defeating enemies, searching the area, or building flavor for a new place or non-player character they're first encountering.
What's This About Crafting?
Creating a Character
- The scenario that their characters exist in, such as they are teens the night before graduation, partying at a cabin in the woods, or passengers on a cruise ship that has run ashore of a desert island. In campaigns, players take the role of interdimensional scavengers, going to different universes and getting caught-up in adventures as they attempt to steal everything that's not nailed down.
- The items their character starts with. Players are given a set of mundane items and a sentimental item that they compare with their scenario and decide who they're playing as.
2023 Summer Games Update
Hi folks, quick updates on the status of games. I was able to show off Skrap Packs at Break My Game recently and was able to figure out ...
This is the production blog for the crafting tabletop roleplaying game Skrap Packs. Here, I will be posting updates on the status of the gam...
I'll be running Skrap Packs at AwesomeCon 2022 in the tabletop gaming room on Saturday, June 4 during two, 2-hour sessions. Find the lis...
I'll be in the tabletop room at BlerdCon 2022 on Saturday, July 9 from 2PM - 8PM Eastern time. Be sure to stop by for a demo at one of...